Modified Bitumen Roofing Systems Articles
CertainTeed CoolStar Roofing Products Help Reduce Energy Costs and Keep Buildings Cooler
November 7, 2007 - (Valley Forge, Pennsylvania) - A roof is a building's first line of defense in controlling energy consumption, thanks to innovations like CertainTeed Corporation's CoolStar™ reflectant surface for low-slope roofing. The energy-wise CoolStar technology was initially unveiled last fall on CertainTeed's Flintglas® Cap Sheet. Now CertainTeed is pleased to announce an expanded line of 14 low-slope roofing granulated cap sheet membranes featuring CoolStar-coated surfaces.
The CoolStar family of products, featuring factory pre-coated roof surfaces, meets ENERGY STAR® and initial California Title 24 requirements and has received ratings for solar reflectance and thermal emittance from the Cool Roof Rating Council (CRRC).
"CoolStar has a positive impact on both the environment and building owners' pocketbooks. By reducing the amount of heat absorbed by roofing materials, CoolStar helps improve the overall energy efficiency of buildings, which can mean lower energy costs," says Husnu Kalkanoglu, Vice President of Research and Development for CertainTeed Roofing.
Testing conducted on a sunny day at 100 F ambient temperature shows that the surface temperature of a roof topped with black membrane can reach 180 F while a gravel roof can be as hot as 145 F. A CoolStar roof is significantly cooler at 90 F, contributing to a cooler indoor environment and reducing peak cooling demand up to 15 percent.
The brilliant white CoolStar coating is factory applied for hassle-free, one-step field applications. Once the roof system is applied, the job is complete. This one-step installation helps reduce labor costs because there are no costly time delays for application of multiple coats.
CoolStar roofing products are extremely durable thanks to reinforcement by strong, high-quality fiber glass and polyester mats, and a thick layer of asphalt coating, ceramic granules and the acrylic-based coating. This toughness enables CoolStar products to withstand negative effects of natural expansion and contraction caused by heating, cooling, light and moisture.
According to Kalkanoglu, CoolStar products are quickly catching on as energy-savings-minded building professionals and building owners see the benefits of the product. "We have been thrilled at the market's quick acceptance of CoolStar and are pleased to extend this energy-saving surface to more of our low-slope products," he adds.
The CoolStar reflectant surface is now available for the following products:
* Flintglas Cap Sheet fiber glass cap sheet
* Flintlastic® SA Cap Sheet: self-adhering, SBS modified bitumen cap sheet
* Flintlastic Premium GMS™: SBS modified bitumen cap sheet
* Flintlastic White Diamond GTA™: APP modified bitumen cap sheet
* Flintlastic GTS™: SBS modified bitumen cap sheet
* Flintlastic Premium FR-P™: fire-resistant, SBS modified bitumen cap sheet
* Flintlastic FR Cap T: fire-resistant, SBS modified bitumen fiber glass cap sheet
* Flexiglas™ Premium Cap Sheet 960: fiber glass cap sheet
* Flintlastic GTA: APP modified bitumen cap sheet
* Flintlastic GMS: SBS modified bitumen cap sheet
* Flintlastic SA FR Cap Sheet: self-adhering SBS modified bitumen cap sheet
* Flintlastic GTA-FR™: fire-resistant APP modified bitumen cap sheet
* Flintlastic FR-P™: fire-resistant, SBS modified bitumen, fire-resistant cap sheet
* Flintlastic FR Cap Sheet: fire-resistant, SBS modified bitumen fiber glass cap sheet
Through innovation and creative product design, CertainTeed has helped shape the building products industry for more than 100 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Company, the firm made its slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," which quickly inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is North America's leading brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, windows, fence, decking, railing, trim, foundations, pipe, insulation, walls, ceilings and access covers.
Headquartered in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, CertainTeed and its affiliates have approximately 9,000 employees and 70 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. In 2006 the group had consolidated sales approaching $4 billion. www.certainteed.com.
Explore Modified Bitumen Roofing Systems
- CertainTeed Commercial Roof Systems Selection Guide
from CertainTeed Corp.
- CertainTeed Roofing Energy Star® Rated Products
from CertainTeed Corp.
- CertainTeed Flintlastic SA
from CertainTeed Corp.
- View All